Retreat in Daily Life
Prayer Unit 8
God Calls Me to Ongoing Conversion
- Consolation refers to every increase of faith, hope and love.
It can be an experience moving towards the Lord, leading to an interior acceptance of others, leading to a realistic knowledge of self, etc. In this state, we must be grateful and humble.
- Desolation is entirely the opposite of consolation. It can be an experience of turning in one’s self, moving towards self-seeking, sadness and separation from God, etc. In this state, we must wait patiently believing that consolation will soon return.
Notes about Prayer:
- Dryness consists in not experiencing the presence of God or the desire to pray. God may seem absent or distant; we may feel we are talking with ourselves. It becomes difficult to persist in prayer under such circumstances; if understood correctly, these can be special times of grace…
- Sometimes our failure to experience God in a sensible manner comes through no fault of our own, but is a normal stage in God’s purification of our desire or intention. Some dry times are caused by normal fluctuations in our human nature….
- Our experience of God will deepen as our fidelity through dry times remains steady. Temptations to shorten our prayer times during these periods, or to drop them altogether, should be resisted.
Theme: God Calls Me to Ongoing Conversion
Grace: Lord, my God, I beg for the grace to feel in my heart my response to your invitation to get closer to you in love.
- Deuteronomy 4:29-31 – If you search him honestly and sincerely you will find him…For Yahweh your God is a merciful God and will not desert you.
- Jeremiah 31:31-34 – I shall make a new covenant… Within them I shall plant my Law, writing it on their hearts…
- Ephesians 5:8-14 – You were darkness once, but now you are light in the Lord…Try to discover what the Lord wants of you…
- Zephaniah 3:14-20 – Shout for joy…exult with all your heart…you have nothing more to fear…he will renew you by his love.
Points to Ponder: “Web of Life”
Look at your life and see the ongoing movement or deepening of God’s life in you.
►What events brought about a change in your view of yourself, life,
the world, and God?
►What led to the opening of your heart to God?
►What area of your life needs to be penetrated by God’s loving presence?
Bring all these to the Lord begging him for the grace to be suffused with God’s everlasting love.
CENTER OF OUR HEARTS
by St. Claude la Colombere, SJ
O God what will you do
to conquer the fearful hardness of our hearts?
Lord, you must give us new hearts, tender hearts, sensitive hearts,
to replace hearts that are made of marble and of bronze.
You must give us your own Heart, Jesus.
Come, lovable heart of Jesus.
Place your heart deep in the center of our hearts
and enkindle in each heart a flame of love
as strong, as great, as the sum of all the reasons
that I have for loving you, my God.
O holy Heart of Jesus,
dwell hidden in my heart,
so that I may live only in you
and only for you,
so that in the end,
I may live with you eternally